Pages

Snippets

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Another Good Post

So, tonight was Bunco at my house. I love bunco. It's a pointless, mindless game. But it involves my good friends whom I never get to see and snacks. What could be better? So this post is dedicated to you, Kerri Witten...if you read it =)

This is how I plan my meals.

I only plan supper. For lunch we have leftovers, sandwiches or whatever. I plan supper 5 nights a week. We often go out to eat on one night of the weekend and Sunday it's every man for himself, because, well, I'm lazy. I plan for 2 weeks at a time (no repeats) and because sometimes life happens or I have enough leftovers for a supper meal, I only have to grocery shop every 2-3 weeks. I do have to pick up milk and fruit inbetween. Or I should say Kyle only has to pick up milk and fruit inbetween on his way home from the gym =P. I do also plan for any extras...like this week, Bunco was tonight so I planned for that and I'm having our neighbors over for lunch (a meal I don't normally plan, but am this week). I also plan for muffins and quick breads as needed. I keep those in the freezer, too. They make a good bedtime snack for Luke or sometimes breakfast to shake things up for our normal pancakes.

I have a few stand bys that usually show up every meal planning session. Breakfast for supper (pancakes, waffles or french toast), chicken strips, and pizza. I always make a double batch of breakfast for supper and freeze the rest and that's what Luke has for his breakfast until it runs out, then I make it again. I do chicken strips the same way. I make plenty extra and then I freeze them for Luke's lunches when I don't have leftovers. For lunch he has leftovers, chicken strips or a hot dog usually. Pizza is Kyle's favorite. So, those are my standby's. I also have several blogs that I follow in my blog reader. We don't get delivery in our area, but planning for delivery one night is great (especially for Wednesday nights which tend to be busy). I also try to make two chicken meals to every 1 beef meal. Healthier and a little easier on the wallet.
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/
http://mealplanningmommies.blogspot.com
http://www.5dollardinners.com/
When I see a recipe I like I email it to myself. Then when I sit down to meal plan I go through my email and see what sounds good and I print out the recipe to try. Also, during the two weeks that are planned on the back of my planning sheet I'll jot down ideas for meals for the upcoming weeks. And next I'll think of things that we haven't had in a while, or that I'm in the mood for etc. During cold months I usually plan for a soup or two. Anyway. That's how I come up with my dinners. Thinking up the idea is the hardest part. Once my recipe list is compiled I put together my grocery list and match up my coupons and I'm ready to go. It takes me a while at the grocery store because it's a bigger shop, but I'm really enjoying not going to the store all the time, and I think that alone helps me save money.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tips. I love to be organized and this is one area that I have fallen behind in since Tyler was born.

    ReplyDelete