Pages

Snippets

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Kyle "Watermelon Man" Soper

Kyle has a problem.  He is obsessed with watermelons.  For those of you who know Dana (Kyle's dad), you know that Dana has no lawn.  Instead he has a small farm.  It's too big to really be called a garden.  He planted 208 (yes, 208) tomato plants alone this year.  Not to mention the other wide variety of vegetables.  He is selling a lot of them and to no small profit, I'm sure.  Anyway.  I'm seeing a bit of Dana come out in Kyle and he is really enjoying his small garden (all we have are watermelons).  And since I really enjoy watermelons, I have no complaints about Kyle's new hobby.  I do like to tease him about it, however.  He literally checks on his watermelons 3-4 times a day.  He reads about growing them at night.  He has blue tape to mark things on the vines.  He's weeded, mulched, and built a fence to keep out the rabbits (Something I know my Grandpa Olson would appreciate).  He waters, he pollinates.  These had better be some tasty melons =)

Kyle has lost several "watermelon babies"...miscarriages, maybe? But this morning he declared that he thought he might have some melons that are going to make it.  Here are some the beloved offspring:

As a result of the "Melon Project" Kyle has plans of expanding for next year and we've started a compost pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment