Pages

Snippets

Sunday, September 9, 2012

My Update!

This is where you can quit reading if you want ;)  This summer I have been chasing kids, going to the lake and skipping runs!

Running: Acually, I think I did alright keeping up with my running.  I didn't have any races scheduled and it was SO HOT, and it's summer!  I did run a couple of times in Nebraska and I always run when I'm at the lake (Hello hills!).  But I did skip quite a few runs and I didn't do hardly any long runs.  I was lucky to get 12-18 miles per week this summer.  One week I logged 6 miles.  That's 1 run.  BUT now temperatures are cooling off in the mornings and I've registered for 3 half marathons in the coming months...and my runs and long runs are happening again!  I'm finding it much easier to get out of bed to run knowing it's not going to be pushing 90* (at 6:30am!) and I have something I'm training for.  My next race is October 14th just outside of Joplin, MO.  I'm running in the Mother Road Marathon ( just the half). This is a pretty neat race, where if you're running the full marathon you will run through three states (OK, KS, and MO) before it's finished.  But if you're just running the half like me, you'll just run through 2 states. My friend, Shanna, is going to come with me.  We'll leave Saturday during nap time so I can pick up my packet before 8pm and come home late Sunday night after some Joplin fun on Sunday after I run.  My long run yesterday ended up being 10.25 mi. so I'm in good shape for getting in some decent miles before next month.  I've taken to doing my long runs down Hiawasee.  I drive the 1.5mi. to the 33rd/Hiawassee intersection and then take off.  I feel very impressed with myself when I can say  I "ran to Jones!". My yearly milage total is just over 600 miles, and with 4 months to go, I really hope I can hit 1000 miles.  I don't think I will, but it will be fun to see how close I can get!  Now I'll really regret skipping those runs this summer!

Body & Soul:  We had out fall workshop and I've learned my new routines and the fall session has started.  It's nice to take all the kids with me because after class we can now stay and play on the church playground with the other kids instead of rushing straight home.

Allergies: If you hadn't stopped reading yet, I bet you wish you had now!  I'm doing an allergy therapy treatment that is supposed to cure me of my allergies (the ones I'm being treated for anyway).  It's supposed to take 3-5 years with benefits noticeable around 6 months, so I will update you on if they're working for me.  It's supposed to have an 85% success rate, so let's hope I'm in that 85%!  On my first appointment (45 minutes away! ugh!) they tested me for the 50 most common allergens in Oklahoma (not the full 400 like in a full blown scratch test!)  They tested me for molds and air born allergens and animals and of the 50 things...I'm allergic to 27 things.  Lots of molds, dirt, tons of trees and weeds and cats.  I'm not allergic to cows, but I am allergic to cockleburs DAD! thanks for making me walk all those beans!  Anyway.  Now that we know what I'm allergic to, I have vials of solutions with these allergens in them that I will have injected into my arms every other day for 4 months and then twice a week after that.  But since I'm extra lucky and allergic to both molds and air born allergens I get TWO shots every other day.  I will get my first 3 initial sets of shots (they don't hurt at all, these are the tinniest needles ever...and I've done 2 sets) at the clinic and then the rest will be at home.  Kyle had to come with me to my last appointment to be trained on giving me these shots.  After being miserable seasonally (spring and fall in Oklahoma) for as long as I can remember, I am really hoping I see some benefit from the treatments.  My allergies have been restrictive to my life and activities and at times limit where I will go (houses with cats are usually a no no!).  Hopefully that will be behind me or much improved.


No comments:

Post a Comment