Pages

Snippets

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Summer 2012

Let's start with a little quiz:

Can you tell it's a) been a busy summer b) Erin went home for the summer c) I've been lazy and felt so far behind on the blog that trying to get caught up sounded like an insurmountable task d) all of the above.

Answer?  D!!!!!  But Kyle is gone this weekend setting up his hunting area, and I never seem to watch any TV in the evenings when he's gone, so maybe if I start this post and leave it up on my computer I can chip away at it here and there.

June:
During June my mom and dad came to visit us.  Dad stayed for the weekend and mom a bit longer.  The kids loved having them hear.  Today at lunch Leta set aside two cherries to save for Grandma and Grandpa.  We played and played and even managed to squeeze in a trip to the zoo. My mom also spent some time in Ponca City at her parents.  After checking my summer calendar, which was quickly filling up, I realized that the best time frame for me to go to Nebraska with the kids was right then so the kids and I picked up my mom in Ponca City and she made the trip back to her house with us where the kids and I spent over a week.  Kyle was then able to fly down Saturday evening and drive back to our house with the kids and I Monday.  A 9 hour drive with three kids at their ages was NOT something I wanted to do by myself.  Not my idea of a good time.  I was grateful that Kyle was willing to meet me there (he couldn't go for over a week and I wanted a nice long stay).  The kids and I had such fun.  We grilled hot dogs and marshmallows over a campfire, played at the park, went to Great Grandma and Grandpa's house, rode the horse many times, did lots of swinging, helped Grandma plant flowers, bake a rhubarb pie, played in the sprinklers, went to the Sioux Falls Zoo and Butterfly Gardens and church.  One of the best surprises for the kids was going to Wednesday night church and Erin (who goes to Oklahoma Christian and helps with the kids a lot...they LOVE Erin!!!) was there!  They hadn't seen her since OC let out and they were certainly missing her!  Also, a couple mornings in June we woke up to having as many as 4 horses in our yard munching on our grass.  The kids loved this and thought it was great fun to go and pet the horses after breakfast.  We all enjoyed it the first time. However, the second time, Kyle had had enough of the "gifts" the horses were leaving in their wake =P



July:

We spent the 4th of July at the lake with the Hayes and had a great time.  We let Luke go to his first ever fireworks display.  They proved to be too late for him as he kept asking to turn the boat around and go home because he was tired.  Then during the display he said they all looked the same, can't we go home now?  The kids and I also went to Ponca City for a day trip to see Doug, JoAnne and Jimmy, as well as Marjorie and Pappaw and Grandma Key.  Luke had Marjorie reading Calvin and Hobbs to him all afternoon.  July was hot (of course) and there were several trips to the lake and lots of swimming in our kiddie pool.  Luke even caught a frog out there one day and thought it was the greatest thing ever.  I'm pretty sure that the frog needed TLC after Luke was done with him, poor frog!  My mom also came back for another visit before the school year started and she needed to start prepping.  We had great fun.  We also visited Unpluggits, a local fun/craft place for kids and they all had a lot of fun.  It was too hot to do anything outdoors.  Max also didn't get the memo that he's a baby and insisted on playing on all the "big kid" toys.  Luke also is got to start a "new" schedule.  He goes to his room at 2:30 for rest time instead of 1:30 for a nap.  He was sleeping every day and not being able to go to sleep at night.  So during the hour that it's only him awake, we spent many an afternoon playing Sorry.  He's a pretty tough competitor, though!  He's fun to play with and always has a good attitude, win or lose.

Max also began walking and then turned 1 two days later.  We had a big party for him, which either that or the cupcake had him all wound up and he didn't go to sleep that night until almost 10pm! (Which is crazy late for him).  We also visited a local Trampoline Park, which turned out to be quite pricey so just the kids played.  They both had a great time, but it's a little more geared towards kids who are a bit older.  I told Kyle I want to go back without kids!  It looked SO fun!  Kyle's garden also produced quite a bit of corn, strawberries and Edmame, so we were pleased with that.





August:

I kicked off August with a Body & Soul Instructors Girls trip to the lake.  This was my first time to go without kids and oh my word!  it was so relaxing and fabulous!  Kyle's lucky I came home!  Then I had workship and learning routines and the fall session started and Kyle had a guys trip to the lake and a hog hunting trip (he got 3!)....busy busy!  But, the biggest news of all, is that LUKE STARTED PRE-K!  He was nervous and didn't want to go, but after having a meet the teacher day, he was nothing but pumped and loves school.  I didn't want to send him every day, so he is going to Pre-K at a conveniently located church M/T/Th mornings from 9:15-11:45.  He is loving every minute.  I think Leta is enjoying having me more to herself.  On our at home days she likes to go for a walk with me.  We each have to take our "soft babies" in our strollers.  It is rather adorable, if I must say so.  Max is a speedy walker and can climb up the steps on our play set and go down the slide all. by. himself.  I don't like it.  He also enjoys to "talk" on the phone.  Again, very cute.


 First day of Pre-K.  August 27, 2012




No comments:

Post a Comment