Pages

Snippets

Friday, November 23, 2012

Route 66 Half Marathon

Another half marathon done!  #4  I was set to go with my friend, Shanna, again, who is a great specator, but her little boy got sick with a) strep b) double ear infections c) viral rash d) all of the above.  The unfortunate answer for poor Karter (And Brandon and Shanna!) is D.  So, of course, Shanna stayed home with her poor sick little boy.  It would've been more fun with her and I missed her, but guys.  I was ALONE from 2:15pm Saturday until 1:45 pm Sunday.  It was fabulous!  Mia Soper (as Leta likes to call her) was up for being our first ever overnight babysitter.  I started my alone time with a quick trip into the Goodwill in Edmond for some "throw-away" clothes.  I spent < $5 on a pair of sweats and a zip hoodie that I wore over my racing gear to the start and while I waited, then I took them off at the last minute and threw them to the side of the road.  They have volunteers who pick up discarded items and they then donate them to Goodwill or the Salvation army.  Staying warm for that hour was worth the $5 to me =).

After Goodwill, I headed to Tulsa and checked in at my hotel downtown, which was about 5-6 blocks from the start) and then headed over to the race expo before it closed and checked in and got my packet.  Then it was back to the hotel for me.  Since room service wasn't too outrageous, I opted for that instead of trying to find a restaurant and eating alone or getting carry out.  I felt very fancy pants eating in my hotel room.  I was in my jammies and reading in bed by 7:30.  Fabulous.  I just relished the quiet and didn't turn the TV on once the whole stay.

After a couple of incidences where I have barely made it to the start or have been late, I turned the ringer way up on my cell phone alarm, took the time to figure out the hotel room alarm AND had a wake up call.  I was up at my desired 6:30 wake time, had slept wonderfully and was ready to go!  I got ready nice and slow and headed out the door to walk the half mile or so to the start.  I timed it perfectly and after a short wait for a port-a-potty I headed into my corral (B) to wait for the start.  They started the race in "waves" Each subsequent corral was started 5 minutes after the one in front of it.

Soon I was off.  The first half of the course was gorgeous.



It was constant small hills for the first 6 miles.  We ran through a revitalized shopping district, down Cherry Street, through beautifully landscaped and well maintained old neighborhoods and past a gorgeous stone monastery.  I talked to a lady who was also running the half around mile 6 who said she felt terrible and that the hills were killing her, I down played it, but I felt wonderful.  I felt great the entire race.   After we hit the halfway mark, we ran on and out and back that was flat and boring.  But, the good thing about that (and being relatively slow! ha.) was I was able to see all the super speedy runners and people ahead of me so there was always something interesting to look at.  The course was pretty well lined with spectators and people holding up signs.  There was a saxophone player I saw twice, a drum line, a guy doing karaoke, several bands and a belly dancer.  This was a really fun race and one that I'll definitely want to run again in the future.








I picked it up the last 5K or so and then was able to really run strong to the finish.  I passed A LOT of people those last miles.  

I got 1090 place out of ???? and 98th in my division out of almost 500 runners by running a new PR of 2:02:51.  Still chasing a sub 2 hour half, but I am proud and happy with this race. It was FUN!  And it also helps that I felt strong throughout the run ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment