Pages

Snippets

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Orr Family Farm and Storybook Forest

I think October is quickly becoming my favorite month. The weather is finally cooling off and it's generally pretty nice to be out and about. You might need a light jacket in the evenings, but that's it. Also, it's Luke's birthday, Halloween, and lots of other fun fall activities.

Last Friday we went to the Orr Family Farm in Moore. Traffic was horrible on the way down so we didn't get there until almost 6:30, instead of our planned 6:00. Luke and Kyle went on a train ride while I stood in line for the Hay ride. Luke had big fun. Kyle said as soon as they sat down he started saying, "Want train go". And as soon as they were off and came to find me all he could say was, "Want ride train 'gain.".
You can't actually see Kyle and Luke on the train, I wanted to get a picture of the front car and thought I'd have time to click one of the two of them on the train, but...not so much. After the train ride we went on the hayride to the pumpkin patch where we all three got to pick a pumpkin. Luke LOVES to pick a pumpkin. After the hay ride we went and saw the animals and then Luke and I went for a carousel ride. Luke enjoyed going up and down and was immediately curious about the gears. After that, it was already past Luke's bedtime, so we headed home.



Last night Luke and I went with some friends, Alyssa, Camdyn and Samuel (Wolverine) to Lake Arcadia's Storybook Forest. It was great and definitely exceeded my expectations. Luke got to wear his Halloween costume, which he enjoyed. We started on the trail. They had many different stations, more than a dozen, with a scene from a classic story or nursery rhyme along with a paragraph length story to read to your child. They also got a piece of candy at each station. Luke soon got a sucker and ate that the rest of the time and is still, this morning, asking for another sucker. The scenes were REALLY well done and not cheesy or cheap looking at all. They had a Rapunzel (real person) up in a tower and the Peter Pumpkin Eater's wife in a pumpkin shell. If I would have had more hands I would have taken a picture of Luke at each station. As it was, I only got one of him at the entrance to the forest.
Then after the trail they had an area where you could use tickets they had given you to play games. Luke's favorite was definitely fishing. He caught this little toy thing ( I have NO idea what it really is), but he thinks it's a fish. Which is logical because he caught it while "fishing", but then again, Samuel caught a bracelet, so...who knows?!?! He is still talking about fishing and helping mom "pull the fish". I think Kyle and Luke will have to go fishing in our pond here soon. Luke will need a fishing pole, first though. Then after the games we went on another hayride. I had to sign a disclaimer...and I can see why! It was just a flatbed, no sides and they went FAST! After the hayride we got to meet Curious George, whom Luke liked a lot better from a distance, but I did get a picture of the two of them together. He wouldn't touch George though. Then we came home to have show and tell with Daddy. And listen to Luke ask for another sucker.
All this fun, and Halloween isn't even until Saturday!!!

1 comment: