Pages

Snippets

Sunday, February 17, 2008

New Mother/Baby Stuff I can't live without

1. Baby Bjorn Carrier- I may not know how to say it, but I sure know how to use it! I love this for grocery shopping, Target, and sweeping/vacuuming with Luke. It gives me both hands free and I really enjoy the snuggle time with Luke. He's a snuggler, too, so he likes to be close to Mommy and look around at the same time. He can face towards or away from me.

2. Barrettes- While nursing I'm constantly leaning my head over to look at Luke (even though it's bad for your neck muscles and spine) and a barrette keeps my hair out of my eyes. I usually have one clipped to my pocket for whenever I need it.

3. Boppy- Mine was made by my Grandma Olson. I can't feed Luke without it. If we have to go somewhere...it goes with us.

4. CARTERS Lap Pads- They're thick cloth pads that are waterproof. They keep me from having to change my changing pad covers all the time. Also, they're great for when the baby begins sleeping all night. I put one under his little bottom, that way if he leaks through his diaper (rarely) I don't have to change the sheets. Get the Carter's Brand. I bought some at Target and after the first washing the two pieces of fabric came apart and they had to be thrown away. Complete waste of money.

5. Lansinoh Lanolin Cream- You'll hear that breastfeeding doesn't hurt. This is a LIE! It hurts like crazy for the first few weeks, and if you're like me...for a few months. Lanolin cream really helps chapping and you don't have to wash it off, which is great, because you'll be so tired you won't want to have to remember that. Be careful, though. It stains horribly. Make sure you wear breast pads while using.

6. Lil Noses Saline Spray- Luke hates to have his boogies sucked out of his nose, but the spray softens them and makes the task a little easier for both of us. Not enjoyable...just a little quicker.

7. Madela Sanitizing Steam Bags- Great for breast pump parts, bottles (if using), pacifiers, small plastic toys etc. AND it only takes 1 1/2 minutes!

8. Mirrors- What can I say? All babies love 'em. Any distraction is a good one.

9. Mobile for changing table- Luke loves his bears. He smiles at them every time. It makes diaper changing and getting dressed much more fun. We have one on his crib, but since he's a tummy sleeper, he's only watched that one once. The changing table is a much more practical location for us. If we only had one, that's where it'd be.

10. Nursing tanks from Target- They sell them other places, but Target is cheaper. I wear one every single night with my flannel jammies. They make nursing easier, I can wear breast pads at night, and the sports bra-like support is nice for sleeping.

11. Onsies- Everything else rides up. My favorite until he's walking.

12. Sleep Blankets- Since they aren't supposed to have anything in their crib while they sleep, these are nice. They just pull on over their sleepers. I saw some new ones at BRU that are WAY better than the ones I have. I can't wait 'til Luke outgrows his and I can go buy new. They snap over the shoulders and the zipper is on the side!!! and zips all the way down and across the bottom for easier night diaper changes.

13. Sleeping/Nursing Log- I kept track for the first 3 months. I was so tired I couldn't remember what he did when, so writing it down helped me. It also helped me establish a schedule for him that fit us both.

14. Swaddle Me Blankets- Of all sizes. We all know babies like the swaddle when tiny, but still, at 4 months, being swaddled is the only thing that will calm Luke down when he gets to throwing a fit. I sometimes have to use one to get him down at night or for a nap if he's really fighting himself.

15. Trumpette Socks- Of course, they have WAY more styles for girls than boys, but I love their "shoe" socks. I bought a pack of 6 and they come in all colors. Luke never wears shoes, but it looks like he does! He even likes the laces on them (that can't come untied) and the bright colors. Ne noticed his feet for the first time wearing them. Of course, he didn't realize they were his feet, but he enjoyed watching them just the same.

I'll add more as I add them to my list on my blogspot page. Many people helped me get off on the right foot with things. My sister in law, Audra, sent me the GREATEST new mommy list that I really think I would've died without.

No comments:

Post a Comment