Pages

Snippets

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

This is a long one!

Dad visits! This past weekend my dad came to visit. It was a quick trip. We picked him up at the airport in Guthrie Friday afternoon and we dropped him off Sunday morning at 9am. He flew the smallest 2 seater I've ever seen. And by that I mean the smallest two seater they had sitting outside at the Guthrie airport when I was there. It was fun to be able to watch him take off Sunday morning. Luke likes airplanes so he enjoyed our visits to the airport as well.

We didn't do a whole lot on Friday except watch Luke play toys. He did a good job showing off his tricks to dad. He blinked and scooted backwards on the hardwood. We also went for a walk Friday. We took Luke out in his new wagon that his Great-Grandpa Olson made him. It turned out great and Luke likes riding in it better than his stroller. It's a hit with all of us. Luke did reach a milestone. He took two steps while dad was watching. A first for him...that hasn't been repeated. I wrote in his baby book that he took steps, but he isn't walking yet!



Luke eating lunch today. Sorry this picture is out of order.
Saturday we played more toys and dad babysat Luke that evening while Kyle and I went out to eat. Since it was a special occassion (the second time we've gone out without Luke in 11 months...) Kyle made reservations at the Melting Pot and we got to use the Gift Card the Cress family (THANKS BRIDGET!) got Kyle for his 30th birthday. It was wonderful. It's definately my new favorite special-occasion-only restaurant. We ordered a meal package that included cheese fondue (with apples, veggies, and various breads for dippers), a salad, the entree (lobster, filet mignon, chicken, pork, shrimp, salmon and tortellini along with veggies and potatoes for dippers and too many sauces to name), and dessert (Snickers fondue-chocolate, chuncky peanut butter and carmel-with fruit, brownies, cheesecake, rice-crispie treats, marshmellows and pound cake for dippers). We both ate WAY too much. I definately enjoyed an evening out. Don't worry, we were home by 8:00 so I could nurse Luke and put him to bed.

Sunday we dropped dad off and Luke had fun watching the airplanes at the airport. He especially liked watching his Grandpa take off.

Luke is on a crazy learning curve right now. It's fun to be able to see what he is actually learning. He can point to his head when asked and he can point to the farmer on his See and Say and his dog and fish on his puzzle. He clapped Sunday afternoon for the first time. (Dad you barely missed that one!) He's only done it a few times. And this morning !cute story! he was looking at one if his books that has a mirror in the back. He kept pointing at himself and then he'd take his hand away and do it again. He did this several times. So I asked him, "Luke, who's is that?" pointing at him in the mirror, and then he pointed at himself! While he's learning new tricks, he's also learning to be onery.

Example 1: Today he was sitting next to and pointing at our artificial tree (which he knows he's not allowed to touch). When he would point at it I would say, "That's the tree that we do not touch." Luke points, I say...Luke points, I say etc. We do this several times and then while pointing at the tree but not touching with his finger he inched his big toe over and touched the tree with it. I died laughing...and then went over and swatted his foot.

Example 2: Tonight on our walk, Luke was riding on his wagon. He kept wanting to chew on the side so I would tell him not to and push his head back etc. After a sufficient amount of reminders I started thumping him lightly on his little mouth. So then he would turn and try to chew on the other side of the wagon-- the one I wasn't on. So I moved around. Thump. He goes to the other side. I move around. Thump. We do this several times. Then. He leans over, puts his thumb in his mouth (while holding onto the wagon). This is perfectly fine. Then he slowly pulls out his thumb so his mouth is now back on the wood. Like I wouldn't catch him. You guessed it. Laughter...and then a thump. I may be sending mixed messages. He's smart, but so far...I'm smarter. I predict this arrangement lasts at least a week. yeah.


Progress on our lake house! Kyle is going to Grove on Thursday to check things out for himself. More pictures when he returns.

No comments:

Post a Comment