Pages

Snippets

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Recipes!

Santa came to visit at our Body and Soul fellowship. Luke did better with Santa this time than he did when we went and saw him at the mall. He smiled! Santa did bring the kids little goodie baggies. Luke knows very well that he wants Santa to bring him train tracks this year for Christmas. He was so excited to get the bag from Santa. He opened it right up, and his grin quickly turned to a frown and his eyes teared up and he looked at me and said, "Train tracks?" I had to quickly explain that this was just to tide him over and that if Santa brought him train tracks, he would bring those on Christmas morning while he was sleeping.

I have been a baking fool lately. I've made several batches of Apple Cinnamon Tea Ring and Orange Cinnamon Swirl bread. I've been using my kitchen aid mixer with the dough hook and it really makes my life easier, but it's just not big enough to handle a double batch, so I've just been doing one batch of dough at a time. I just delivered my last Tea Ring this morning and tomorrow I plan on making my last batch of Orange Cinnamon Swirl bread, of which we will get to keep one! for our Christmas morning breakfast. The first day I made bread, Luke asked what I was making and I told him. He thought about it for a bit, and then decided that "Want Mommy make cookies."

Both of these recipes are my mom's and I'm sure mine don't turn out as well as hers, so consider yourself lucky if you receive one from her!

Cinnamon Apple Tea Rings

Prepare 4-H Roll Bread. Divide dough in half and roll into 10X15 rectangle. Place 1/2 of filling on each rectangle. Roll jelly roll fashion. Place sealed edge down on a greased pizza pan and form into a circle. Slash into 1 inch slices, cutting almost through to center. Turn each slice on its side. Let rise until double. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until done. Cool. Drizzle with confectioners frosting.

Filling:
3 medium tart apples, chopped fine with skins on.
1/4 c brown sugar
3 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 c raisins, plumped
1/2 c chopped pecans (optional)
1 T flour

4-H Roll Bread (My grandma Olson's recipe)
1 1/2 c scalded milk, cooled
In a cup dissolve 2pkg yeast in 1/2 c warm water.
Mix in a bowl:
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c shortening
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 beaten eggs

Add milk and dissolved yeast. Mix in 5 c of flour, kneading in the final 2 cups for a total of around 7 cups. Knead until smooth and elastic (10-15 min). Place in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise. Punch down and let rise a 2nd time. Make into rolls or cinnamon rolls or use in the Tea Ring Recipe.

Orange Cinnamon Swirl Bread
1 pkg active dry yeast
1/4 c warm water
3/4 cup orange juice, warm
1 c milk, warm
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c shortening
1 T orange zest
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
6 1/4- 6 3/4 c flour

Filling
1/2 c sugar
2-3 tsp cinnamon

Turn onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl turning once to grease top. cover and let rise, about 1 1/4 hr. Punch down dough and divide in half. Let rest 10 min. Roll into a 15X 7 rectangle. Spread filling. Roll up jelly roll style, starting with short end. Seal edges. Place sealed edge down into 2 greased 8x14 loaf pans. cover and let rise until double. Bake 30 min in a 350 oven.

I'm not done with my last meal plan, but I'm trying to get ahead of the game so I planned my next one out already.

New Meal Plan
Tater tot casserolel
Chinese
Creamy Chicken Noodle Sou
Venison Chili with cornbread
Mexican Lasagna
Feta Stuffed chicken breasts
Easy Chicken Pasta
Pizza Loaf
Spaghetti
Beef Stroganoff


Creamy White Chili
1 lb boneless skinless chicken reast, cut into bite size pieces
1 medium onion chopped 1 12 tsp garlic powder
1 T vegetable oil
2 as great northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (14oz) Chicken broth
2 cans (4 oz each) diced green chilis
1/2 (10oz box) spinach
1 can hominy, drained
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 c sour cream
1/2 c cream

1) In bottom of pot sautee chicken, onion and garlic powder in oil until chicken is done. Add rest of ingredients except dairy items. Bring to a boil.
2) Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cream and sour cream. Serve immediately.

1 cup = 334 cal and 22 g protein.

This white chicken chili is one of my top favorite soups. It's really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment