Pages

Snippets

Friday, June 17, 2011

Baked Spaghetti Casserole

Baked Spaghetti Casserole


1lb ground beef (I used 99% lean ground turkey breast
1 small onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14.5oz) can crushed tomatoes ( I had petite diced on hand and used that)
1 (15oz) can tomato sauce
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley (omitted b/c I didn't have any)
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar (omitted...not because I didn't have sugar, but I figured we'd never miss it!)
1/2 lb spaghetti
1 cup cottage or ricotta cheese (I used low fat ricotta since I had several recipes this meal plan that called for ricotta)
3 oz cream cheese (I used reduced fat)
1 egg
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella or Italian blend cheese


In a large skillet, brown meat with onion, pepper, and garlic.  Stir in tomatoes, sauce and seasonings.  Simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes before removing from heat.  Meanwhile, cook spaghetti ALMOST al dente.  Drain.  In a large bowl stir together the ricotta, cream cheese, egg and Parmesan until combined.  Add spaghetti and stir well.  Pour into a prepared casserole dish.  Spoon the meat sauce on top of the spaghetti and cover with the shredded cheese.  Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted and golden.


I, in particular, enjoyed this one.  I happened to make it on a night where neither child ate the best, but I have to say I think it's one that they SHOULD like (but hey, what do I know?).  It made a lot and I got to have several days of left overs from this, not that I minded THAT one bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment