Pages

Snippets

Friday, June 17, 2011

Shaved Asparagus Pizza

Shaved Asparagus Pizza


Pizza Dough
Olive oil for brushing
1/2 lb asparagus
4 oz fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
3 oz. spreadable garlic herb cheese (I used a goat cheese because that's what my grocery store had, and may I just say....YUM!)
Salt and pepper


Preheat the oven and a pizza stone to 500 for at least 30 minutes.  Roll out the pizza dough into a 12-14 inch round.  Brush very lightly with olive oil.  Trim the woody ends of the asparagus and discard.  Cut of the tips.  Use a vegetable peeler to shave the spears into ribbons.  Place the sliced mozzarella over the pizza dough in an even layer.  Pile on the asparagus shavings.  Dot the surface of the pizza with the garlic herb cheese.  Season with salt and pepper.  Transfer the pizza to the preheated stone and bake until cheese is melted and bubbling, about 12 minutes.  Let cool slightly before slicing and serving.


This was so good.  The goat cheese was definitely the highlight and my bites that included that were my favorite.  I started out with the vegetable peeler, but realized I too lazy to put in that kind of time so I got out the food processor which made much quicker work of it.  I would recommend drying the shaved asparagus on a paper towel to remove excess moisture.  And DON'T skip the salt and pepper.  It really added something to this pizza.  Everyone really liked this one (Luke didn't eat well this night either, and I cannot convince him that he likes asparagus, but he did eat a few bites and probably would've done better if he could have picked around the asparagus better.  Kyle even really liked it even though it was a "meatless" meal, which he is generally not a fan of.  Next time I make this I will add chicken to it because that's how us carnivorous Soper's roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment